Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
Books by and about the 2016 presidential election|
| What Happened ,|
by Hillary Clinton (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Becoming ,|
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
The Kennedy-Nixon Presidential Debates, Sept.-Oct. 1960
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from The Kennedy-Nixon Presidential Debates (number of quotes indicated):
- John F. Kennedy (16)
- Richard Nixon (20)
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Excerpts from the 1960 presidential debates between Vice President Richard Nixon and Senator John F. Kennedy:
- September 26, 1960: in Chicago
- October 7, 1960: in Washington, DC
- October 13, 1960: Broadcast from New York and Los Angeles
- October 21, 1960: in New York
Other historical debate series:
- Carter vs. Ford, 1976
- Reagan vs. Carter, 1980
- Clinton vs. Bush, 1992
Historical transcripts from the American Presidency Project
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
John F. Kennedy: Gold outflow results from obligations abroad.
John F. Kennedy: More interested in federal programs than in cutting deficit.
Richard Nixon: Government under Republicans costs less.
Richard Nixon: Expanding programs while reducing debt will increase taxes.
Richard Nixon: Cast deciding vote against increasing teachers' salaries.
Richard Nixon: Federal assistance to integrate schools.
John F. Kennedy: Wants federal money to go to states for teacher salaries.
Richard Nixon: Building more schools moves America ahead.
Richard Nixon: Aid for school construction, not teacher salaries.
Richard Nixon: Local control more critical than increased teacher salaries.
Energy & Oil|
John F. Kennedy: Cut oil depletion allowance for largest producers.
Richard Nixon: No intervention in Cuba; it violates treaties & UN charter.
Richard Nixon: 20 new African countries in 1950s, and all chose democracy.
Richard Nixon: Latin America had 11 dictators in 1953; and only 3 now.
John F. Kennedy: US has obligation to defend freedom.
John F. Kennedy: US needs more economic & social strength to fight Communism.
Richard Nixon: Soviets have a long road before their economy catches ours.
John F. Kennedy: Persuade other countries not to restrict our goods coming in.
John F. Kennedy: Government programs help people do what they can't do alone.
John F. Kennedy: Social Security can pay for good medical care for elderly.
Richard Nixon: Give people freedom to choose health insurance or not.
John F. Kennedy: No atmospheric nuclear testing; push multilateral treaty.
Richard Nixon: USSR is cheating on nuclear tests; push for bilateral treaty.
John F. Kennedy: Negotiate with USSR from a position of strength.
Richard Nixon: New powers to deal with strikes, but not government seizure.
Richard Nixon: To combat unemployment, concentrate on depressed areas.
Principles & Values|
John F. Kennedy: Rendezvous with destiny: get America moving again in 1960s.
Richard Nixon: Social Security is a tax; expanding it costs taxpayers.
John F. Kennedy: Put medical care for the aged under Social Security.
Richard Nixon: Raising taxes OK to maintain sound economy & sound dollar.
John F. Kennedy: USSR is ahead in space; focus more on new science.
Richard Nixon: We're ahead of the Soviets in space, 28 launches to 8.
War & Peace|
John F. Kennedy: Defend Quemoy and Matsu if Communist China attacks Taiwan.
Richard Nixon: GOP isn't trigger-happy; we ended wars while Dems joined.
Richard Nixon: To win Cold War, launch offensive for hearts & minds & souls.
Welfare & Poverty|
John F. Kennedy: Meet the problem of 25 million who are poorly fed.
The above quotations are from The Kennedy-Nixon Presidential Debates, Sept.-Oct. 1960.
Biographies of past presidents:
- President Donald Trump
- Crippled America, by Donald Trump
- Trump Cabinet, On The Issues collection
- Donald Trump vs. Hillary Clinton On the Issues
- President Barack Obama
- Decision Points, by Barack Obama
- Obama Cabinet, On The Issues collection
- Barack Obama vs. Mitt Romney On the Issues
- President George W. Bush
- Bush Cabinet, On The Issues collection
- Decision Points, by George W. Bush
- A Charge to Keep, by George W. Bush
- President Bill Clinton
- Clinton Cabinet, On The Issues collection
- Back to Work, by Pres. Bill Clinton
- The Agenda, by Bob Woodward
- President George H. W. Bush
- All the Best, My Life in Letters, by George Bush Sr.
- The Family, (the Bushes) by Kitty Kelley
- William & Mary Environmental Law Review, by Cameron Lynch
- President Ronald Reagan
- Dutch, a Memoir of Ronald Reagan, by Edmund Morris
- Abortion and the Conscience of a Nation, by Pres. Ronald Reagan
- President Jimmy Carter
- An Hour Before Daylight, by Jimmy Carter
- Jimmy Who?: biography of Jimmy Carter
- President Gerald Ford
- Shadow: Five Presidents and the Legacy of Watergate,by Bob Woodward
- A Time to Heal: The Autobiography of Gerald R. Ford
- President Richard Nixon
- Seize the Moment, by Richard Nixon
- The Watergate Transcripts, by The Washington Post
- President Lyndon Johnson
- The Passage of Power, by Robert Caro
- Taking Charge: The Johnson White House Tapes, by Michael Beschloss
- President John F. Kennedy
- Profiles In Courage, by John F. Kennedy
- A Nation of Immigrants, by John F. Kennedy
- Kennedy & Nixon, by Chris Matthews
- 1000 Days, by Arthur Schlesinger
- 13 Days, by Robert F. Kennedy
- President Dwight Eisenhower
- Waging Peace, by Dwight Eisenhower
- Ike and Dick, by Jeffrey Frank
- President Harry Truman
- Plain Speaking, by Merle Miller
- Wit & Wisdom of Harry Truman, by Ralph Keyes