Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Business Insider held the first-ever Republican primary debate on Tuesday, September 24, which was moderated by politics editor Anthony Fisher, columnist Linette Lopez, and Insider editorial director Henry Blodget.
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from Business Insider GOP primary debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Bill Weld (13) Massachusetts Republican presidential primary challenger
- Donald Trump (1) Republican Presidential incumbent
- Joe Walsh (28) Illinois Republican presidential primary challenger
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Business Insider Today, a financial news service, hosted the first Republican presidential primary debate (yes, there IS a Republican primary!), on Sept. 24, 2019, and live-streamed on Facebook.
- Gov. Bill Weld (R, MA) was the Libertarian Party's Vice-Presidential nominee in 2016, but has re-enrolled as a Republican for 2020.
- Rep. Joe Walsh (R, IL) served in Congress but retured and has run a conservative radio talk show ever since. He considers himself a member of the Tea Party.
- Gov. Mark Sanford (R, SC) was invited, but claimed a "scheduling conflict" and did not attend.
- President Donald Trump (R, NY) was invited to the debate but did not respond. He was the major topic anyway, and we include some excerpts from video played during the debate, with opponents' responses.
- The moderators were Business Insider politics editor Anthony Fisher; Business Insider columnist Linette Lopez, and Business Insider editorial director Henry Blodget.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Joe Walsh: 1996: favored abortion rights; 2012: no abortion exceptions.
Budget & Economy|
Bill Weld: No such thing as government money; only taxpayer's money.
Joe Walsh: Budget deficit is bankrupting future generations.
Bill Weld: Created Governor's Commission on Gay and Lesbian Youth.
Joe Walsh: Same-sex marriage is law of the land, but give it time.
Joe Walsh: LGBTQ activists are "constitutional terrorists".
Joe Walsh: Cut the capital gains tax and the corporate tax rate.
Joe Walsh: Criticized "Occupy Wall Street" movement as pampered youth.
Joe Walsh: Reform the criminal justice system.
Bill Weld: Abolish the federal Department of Education.
Joe Walsh: Market-based solutions to education reform and urban poverty.
Energy & Oil|
Joe Walsh: Acknowledge the real problem of climate change.
Joe Walsh: All-of-the-above, while shifting from coal to renewables.
Joe Walsh: Past: climate science not definitive; now: it's a problem.
Bill Weld: I'm a lifelong environmentalist, like Theodore Roosevelt.
Donald Trump: Don't micromanage every rain puddle and drainage ditch.
Joe Walsh: Balance environmental regulation with small business needs.
Joe Walsh: Put America's interests first: no photo ops with Putin.
Bill Weld: Rejoin TPP in a heartbeat: beachhead against China.
Joe Walsh: China cheats world, so deal with them with world coalition.
Joe Walsh: Supports a free trade system; opposes tariffs on China.
Bill Weld: Accepts donations from individuals and PACs.
Joe Walsh: No opinion on campaign finance reform.
Bill Weld: 1990s: supported assault weapons bans.
Joe Walsh: Federal background check at gun shows and online.
Joe Walsh: Arm school employees to prevent school shootings.
Joe Walsh: Look at things like universal catastrophic care coverage.
Joe Walsh: 2013: engage in civil disobedience to defy ObamaCare.
Bill Weld: Lesson of Iraq War: train Saudis, but no US troops there.
Joe Walsh: Supports military service for gays and transgendered.
Joe Walsh: Securing borders isn't just a scare tactic if you live there.
Joe Walsh: End policy of family separation at the southern border.
Principles & Values|
Bill Weld: Trump's Ukraine caper is impeachable and treasonous.
Joe Walsh: I helped create Trump; now I have to live with that.
Bill Weld: I never met a tax cut I didn't like.
Joe Walsh: Focus tax cuts on middle class and payroll tax.
Joe Walsh: Retrain workers displaced by automation.
War & Peace|
Bill Weld: Troops out of Afghanistan; should have done it long ago.
Bill Weld: Supported the Obama administration's Iran nuclear deal.
Joe Walsh: Support Israel & Saudis, but no US troops in Mideast.
Joe Walsh: Israel should annex Palestinian territory.
Welfare & Poverty|
Bill Weld: Greatly increase the earned income tax credit.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Bill Weld Massachusetts Republican presidential primary challenger
- Donald Trump Republican Presidential incumbent
- Joe Walsh Illinois Republican presidential primary challenger
The above quotations are from Business Insider held the first-ever Republican primary debate on Tuesday, September 24, which was moderated by politics editor Anthony Fisher, columnist Linette Lopez, and Insider editorial director Henry Blodget..
Debates and Surveys in the 2020 Democratic Primary:
- October Democratic candidates debate in Ohio, (Oct. 15, 2019)
- CNN LGBT Town Hall (Oct. 10, 2019)
- Business Insider Republican candidates debate, (Sept. 24, 2019)
- September Democratic candidates debate in Houston, (Sept. 12, 2019)
- CNN Climate Town Hall (Sept. 4, 2019)
- June Democratic candidates debate in Miami, (June 26-27, 2019)
- July Democratic candidates debate in Detroit (July 30-31, 2019)
- Survey of 2020 Presidential campaign websites
- Politico 2020Dems Presidential survey
- NPR Morning Edition 2020 Presidential survey
- CNN Kfile, investigative reporting on presidential contenders
- Jacobin Magazine, socialist perspectives on presidential contenders
- CNN Town Halls, with presidential contenders
- Fox Town Halls, with presidential contenders
- 2020 Presidential Hopefuls by OnTheIssues.org
Books by 2020 Presidential hopefuls:
- The Truths We Hold, by Kamala Harris (2019)
- Shortest Way Home, by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
- The Mueller Report, investigation and commentary (2019)
- From the Ground Up, by Howard Schultz (2019)
- Where We Go From Here, by Bernie Sanders (2018)
- The Right Answer, by John Delaney (2018)
- An Unlikely Journey, by Julian Castro (2018)
- Healing the Soul of America, by Marianne Williamson (2018)
- Promise Me, Dad, by Joe Biden (2017)
- This Fight Is Our Fight by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
- The Making of Donald Trump by David Cay Johnston (2017)
- United, by Cory Booker (2016)
- The Opposite of Woe, by John Hickenlooper (2016)
- The Senator Next Door, by Amy Klobuchar (2015)
- Off the Sidelines, Kirsten Gillibrand (2014)
- Dealing Death and Drugs, by Beto O'Rourke (2011)
Page last edited: Oct 19, 2019