Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Fox News 2023 Republican primary debate in Milwaukee and commentary
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from First GOP presidential debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Asa Hutchinson (8) Arkansas Republican presidential contender; AR Governor
- Chris Christie (5) New Jersey N.J. Governor; Republican Presidential candidate
- Donald Trump (10) Republican Presidential incumbent
- Doug Burgum (5) North Dakota 2024 Presidential contender; Republican Governor
- Francis Suarez (1) Florida Republican presidential challenger
- Joe Biden (1) Democratic President; former V.P.; former Senator
- Kristi Noem (1) South Dakota Republican
- Mike Pence (9) Indiana Former Republican Vice President
- Nikki Haley (6) South Carolina Republican presidential contender; UN Ambassador 2017-2018
- Republican Party (1)
- Ron DeSantis (11) Florida Republican presidential contender; FL governor
- Tim Scott (7) South Carolina Republican presidential challenger; SC Senator
- Vivek Ramaswamy (12) District of Columbia Republican Challenger
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Citations for the first Republican presidential primary debate in Milwaukee on Aug. 23, 2023, including...
- Debate hosted by Fox News with moderators Bret Baier and Martha McCallum
- Counter-programming "Tucker on X" interview by Tucker Carlson with Donald Trump
- AdWatch excerpts from TV ads airing before and during the Fox News debate
- FactChecks by OnTheIssues of candidate comments during the debate and interview
- Commentary on the arrest of Donald Trump at Fulton County Jail in Georgia on conspiracy charges, the day after the debate
- Rev.com transcript of Tucker Carlson, "Tucker on X: Debate Night Interview with Donald Trump," Aug 24, 2023, (Link)
- RollCall.com Transcript: "Fox News GOP presidential hopefuls debate in Milwaukee," 8/23/23, (Link)
- FactCheck: Jerusalem Post, "Six Jewish things to know about GOP's Ramaswamy who called to end Israel aid," by Andrew Lapin, Aug. 23, 2023, (Link)
- AdWatch: "Republicans Ask You To Bank Your Vote!," by National Republican Chair Ronna McDaniel, downloaded 8/23/23, (Link)
- FactCheck: "Hay-Herran Treaty: Colombia Misses its Chance," in U-S-History.com website series on Teddy Roosevelt, downloaded Aug. 23, 2023, (Colombia Canal link and Panama Canal link)
- AdWatch: "Governor Noem Launches Bright Side Ad," 8/18/23, by the South Dakota Governor's Office, (Link)
- AdWatch: CNBC, "Koch network releases ads targeting ex-president," TV ad by Americans for Prosperity Action PAC, June 2, 2023, (Link)
- FactCheck: "Key Decision Point Coming for the Panama Canal," by Daniel F. Runde and Amy Doring and the Center for Strategic and International Studies, May 21, 2021, (Link)
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Nikki Haley: Unapologetically pro-life, but no federal ban .
Ron DeSantis: I believe in a culture of life, and the Heartbeat Bill.
Doug Burgum: 10th Amendment says leave it to the states; no federal ban.
Mike Pence: A 15-week ban is an idea whose time has come.
Nikki Haley: Not enough pro-life senators to ban abortions.
Tim Scott: No abortion on demand; cannot leave it to the states.
Budget & Economy|
Chris Christie: Work with Democrats to cut debt and cut unemployment.
Joe Biden: They call my plan "Bidenomics," but it's working.
Mike Pence: I pushed for deficit reduction before it was cool.
Tim Scott: Turn off the Washington spigot of Bidenomics .
Nikki Haley: Stop the spending like $2.2T COVID stimulus bill .
Asa Hutchinson: I will stop smash-and-grab in our inner cities .
Donald Trump: In Republican-run cities they arrest people for crimes.
Mike Pence: Don't go easy on bail reform; don't defund the police.
Vivek Ramaswamy: We can fix crime wave with spine for cops.
Chris Christie: Trump's conduct beneath the office of the President .
Ron DeSantis: Hollowed-out cities are symbols of national decline.
Asa Hutchinson: Expand tools for addiction counseling.
Ron DeSantis: Send US troops into Mexico to fight drug cartels.
Mike Pence: We used economic pressure to bring Mexico to the table.
Ron DeSantis: Use force at border; leave drug pushers stone-cold dead.
Tim Scott: Change education; break the backs of the teachers' unions.
Mike Pence: We will give school choice to every family in America.
Nikki Haley: Parents need to decide which schools their kids go to.
Ron DeSantis: We need education in this country; not indoctrination.
Energy & Oil|
Doug Burgum: Don't just trade Mideast OPEC with China's Sinopec.
Nikki Haley: Ask China and India to lower their emissions.
Ron DeSantis: We will be energy dominant again in this country.
Vivek Ramaswamy: Drill, frack, burn coal and embrace nuclear.
Vivek Ramaswamy: Climate change agenda is a hoax.
Donald Trump: They have sinks where no water comes out; I ended that.
Tim Scott: Best thing for environment is to bring home jobs from China.
Families & Children|
Vivek Ramaswamy: People are hungry for purpose and meaning.
Vivek Ramaswamy: Give $80B in federal education money to parents .
Asa Hutchinson: Enhance adoption services and maternal care.
Donald Trump: We can't let China run the Panama Canal.
Chris Christie: If we don't stand against autocratic killing, we'll be next.
Donald Trump: FactCheck: US never had right to sell Panama Canal.
Asa Hutchinson: Reduce federal non-defense workforce by 10% like I did in AR.
Donald Trump: Anytime you have mail-in ballots there's massive cheating.
Vivek Ramaswamy: Declare war on the federal administrative state.
Donald Trump: AdWatch: Encourages voting early and mail-in ballots.
Francis Suarez: AdWatch BankYourVote: Vote early, in-person, or by mail.
Republican Party: BankYourVote.com: When Republicans vote early, we win.
Chris Christie: Fight violent crime at federal level; fill federal prisons.
Ron DeSantis: COVID: it was a mistake for Feds to lock down the economy.
Mike Pence: Supports Reagan Doctrine: peace through strength.
Ron DeSantis: Keep military service voluntary instead of mandatory.
Asa Hutchinson: Lethal force on border as needed; bring in Mexico as partner.
Donald Trump: The first thing I would do is seal the border good and tight.
Chris Christie: Make sure people who came here illegally are not rewarded.
Doug Burgum: Biden funded 87,000 people at IRS instead of Border Patrol.
Tim Scott: Finish the wall; get military-grade surveillance at border.
Kristi Noem: AdWatch: S.D. accepts out-of-state professional licenses.
Principles & Values|
Donald Trump: "Fake news" isn't tough enough anymore; it's "corrupt news".
Donald Trump: Jan. 6: There was love in that crowd; love and unity.
Ron DeSantis: Our country is in decline, but can be reversed.
Asa Hutchinson: A president should bring out the best of our people.
Asa Hutchinson: Trump morally disqualified, and based on 14th Amendment.
Doug Burgum: Small town values are the way to get country on track again.
Doug Burgum: You can see this great country, our future, is unlimited.
Mike Pence: Jan. 6: I chose the Constitution and I always will.
Mike Pence: Americans are the most faith-filled, freedom-loving people.
Mike Pence: I have faith that God is not done with America yet.
Nikki Haley: Troops protect America overseas; we should fight for it here.
Ron DeSantis: 2024 is make or break; we're not getting a mulligan.
Tim Scott: Our Judeo-Christian values have made us the greatest nation.
Vivek Ramaswamy: Worried the American dream won't exist for our two sons.
Vivek Ramaswamy: Constitution strongest guarantor of freedom in human history.
Donald Trump: AdWatch: Nominating Trump is Biden's ticket to re-election.
Asa Hutchinson: Get computer science in every school to compete with China.
War & Peace|
Ron DeSantis: Europe should pull their weight and fund Ukraine war.
Vivek Ramaswamy: Defend our border, not Ukraine's.
Vivek Ramaswamy: Abraham Accords 2.0; I love the Iron Dome.
Vivek Ramaswamy: FactCheck: Cut aid to Israel in 2028; it'll be unneeded then.
Vivek Ramaswamy: Ukraine not a priority; use military to protect our borders.
Welfare & Poverty|
Tim Scott: If you're able-bodied in America, you work.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Asa Hutchinson Arkansas Republican presidential contender; AR Governor
- Chris Christie New Jersey N.J. Governor; Republican Presidential candidate
- Donald Trump Republican Presidential incumbent
- Doug Burgum North Dakota 2024 Presidential contender; Republican Governor
- Francis Suarez Florida Republican presidential challenger
- Joe Biden Democratic President; former V.P.; former Senator
- Kristi Noem South Dakota Republican
- Mike Pence Indiana Former Republican Vice President
- Nikki Haley South Carolina Republican presidential contender; UN Ambassador 2017-2018
- Republican Party
- Ron DeSantis Florida Republican presidential contender; FL governor
- Tim Scott South Carolina Republican presidential challenger; SC Senator
- Vivek Ramaswamy District of Columbia Republican Challenger
The above quotations are from Fox News 2023 Republican primary debate in Milwaukee and commentary.