Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
News coverage of 2020 House of Representatives elections
(Click for external website)
2020 House race coverage:
- AL-1: Fox News, "Alabama Rep.-elect Jerry Carl wants Americans back at work, in churches," by Tyler Olson, 12/22/2020
- MN-5: "Ilhan Omar Slams Congress for Failing the Public on Covid Relief," by Jake Johnson, December 17, 2020
National Review, "The Squad Pushes Back after Obama Criticizes 'Defund the Police' Slogan," by Brittany Bernstein, December 2, 2020
PoliticalWire blog, "GOP Lawmaker Will Challenge Electoral Vote," by Taegan Goddard, December 2, 2020
- SC-1: Charleston Post and Courier: "Rep.-elect Nancy Mace hires senior staff members with ties to SC and marijuana lobbying," by Thomas Novelly, Dec 1, 2020
- CO-6 and others: ScienceDebate.org questionnaire, Jason Crow, November 2020
- IL-5 and others: ScienceDebate.org questionnaire, Mike Quigley, October 2020
- MN-7: AARP survey, "Michelle Fischbach and Collin Peterson Answer 5 Questions Vital to Voters 50+", by Andrew Soergel, October 22, 2020
- MI-10: AARP survey, "Kimberly Bizon and Lisa McClain Answer 5 Questions Vital to Voters Age 50+", by Andrew Soergel,, October 21, 2020
- IA-4: KCCI Des Moines, "Election Guide," 10/16/2020
- MI-3 and other races: iVoterGuide on House races, downloaded October 2020
- AL-1: American Family Association "iVoterGuide" on AL-1 House and many other races, downloaded Oct. 2020
- VA-2: Rep. Elaine Luria Press Release on H.R. 2574, "Supports Passage of Equity and Inclusion Enforcement Act," September 16, 2020
- GA-5: CNN, "Georgia state senator Nikema Williams picked to replace Lewis on November ballot," by Alex Rogers, 7/20/2020
- WA-7 & MA-7: Counterpunch.org political e-zine, "The U.S. Struggle for Justice for Palestine Begins a New Chapter," by Mary Miller & Ariel Gold, July 17, 2020
- AL-2: 6WBRC News, "Moore didn't vote in 2016 primary; says he should have voted absentee," by Caroline Beck of Alabama Daily News, 6/23/20
- MN-7: Marshall Independent, "Fischbach: Farmers face too many regulations," by Deb Gau, 6/10/2020
- GA-7: Jewish Insider, "The Outspoken Georgia State Senator Who Isn't Afraid of a Fight," by Matthew Kassel, 6/3/2020
- NH-1: Orlando Sentinel, "EPA's Clean Water Act rollbacks must be stopped," by Jenna Stevens and Rep. Darren Soto, May 07, 2020
- WI-7: Wisconsin Public Radio (NPR), "Republican State Senator Led Push To Deregulate Mining," by Rob Mentzer, 5/7/2020
- CO-4: The Denver Post: "Colorado GOP Chair Ken Buck pressured local official to submit incorrect election results," by Conrad Swanson, May 6, 2020
- NV-3: Las Vegas Sun, "Abortion rights not up for debate," by Emily Brzozowski, April 30, 2020
- HI-2: The Motley Fool e-zine, "Marijuana Industry's Inclusion in Future Coronavirus Relief Packages," by Eric Volkman, Apr 18, 2020
- MN-2: Faribault Daily News (SouthernMinn.com), "Craig proposes new block grant program to help small towns," by Andrew Deziel, Apr 10, 2020
- MN-2: Vanity Fair, "Anger Builds in Congress Over Richard Burr's Coronavirus Stock Trade," by Abigail Tracy, April 2, 2020
- MN-8: Brainerd Dispatch , "Klobuchar, Smith, Stauber laud $4.5M EPA bill to clean up St. Louis River," Apr 1, 2020
- WI-8: Newsmax, "GOP's Cotton, Gallagher: US Must Stop Depending on China's Drugs," by Jeffrey Rodack, 25 March 2020
- IL-6: Chicago Daily Herald, "6th District congressional candidates answer your questions," 3/13/20
- NH-1: WMUR TV-9, "Mowers calls on Pappas to remove sponsorship of 'No Ban Act'," by John DiStaso, Mar 11, 2020
- LA-5: Monroe News Star, "Lance Harris jumps into 5th Congressional District race," by Greg Hilburn, 3/4/2020
- UT-4: Deseret News, "Rep. Ben McAdams talks presidential politics," Feb 28, 2020
- OK-5: The Nation, "Kendra Horn Is Radical... for Oklahoma," by Rebecca Grant, February 18, 2020
- AL-2: WFSA-12 News, "Moore Touts Record in Congressional Run," by Jennifer Horton, 2/12/2020
- IL-6: Northwest Herald, "Sean Casten discusses state of democracy at town hall in Algonquin," by Nabiha Asime, Feb. 9, 2020
- IL-14: Daily Chronicle, "Underwood bill aims to combat domestic terrorism," by Alex Ortiz, Jan. 27, 2020
- TN-2: White House press release, "Support for President Donald J. Trump's Phase One Trade Agreement With China," January 17, 2020
- NH-2 & NH-1: New Hampshire Business Review, "USMCA wins support of NH congressional delegation," by Jeff Feingold, January 16, 2020
- ME-2: Bangor Daily News, "Why Trump's revised NAFTA has been met with skepticism in Maine," by Jessica Piper, January 13, 2020
- SC-4: The State. "SC's Republicans applaud Trump drone strike that killed Iranian general," by Emily Bohatch and Joseph Bustos, Jan. 2, 2020
- LA-1: NYTimes: House press release by Steve Scalise, Jun 5, 2019
Special coverage of "Red Wave" states:
- CA: 7 new House members including 1 Democrat hold & 2 Republican holds; and 3 Republican takeovers + 1 SPEL takeover
- FL: 5 new House members, including 2 Republican holds and 3 Republican takeovers
- NY: 5 new House members including 3 Democrat holds & 1 Republican hold; and 1 Republican takeover + 1 SPEL hold
- TX: 7 new House members, all 7 Republican holds.
- All other states: 52 new House members including 10 Republican takeovers and 3 Democratic takeovers
- Endorsements: Organizational endorsements of new House members, from groups that focus on one issue
- 2021 House incumbents: continuing coverage of the 117th Congress
Conclusion: the "Red Wave" means Republicans made some gains in Congress when they were expected to lose seats.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Scott Franklin: In Congress, will consistently vote against abortion.
Blake Moore: Strong pro-lifer supporting abstinence and adoption.
Jerry Carl: Life starts at conception, defund Planned Parenthood.
Randy Feenstra: Life begins at conception.
Nancy Mace: Very pro-life, no government funds to Planned Parenthood.
Michelle Fischbach: Proudly pro-life and supports pro-life legislation.
Renee Unterman: End tax-payer funded abortions; appeal Roe v Wade.
Nikema Williams: Worked for Planned Parenthood and reproductive rights.
Christy Smith: Will defend women's right to choose.
Tom Tiffany: No taxpayer dollars should fund abortions.
Susie Lee: Co-sponsoring HER Act, to repeal global Gag Rule.
Greg Murphy: Protect the innocent unborn; reduce barriers to adoption.
Dan Bishop: Pro-life; fight extremist Democrats' to stop infanticide.
Steve Scalise: Don't subsidize research on tissue from aborted fetuses.
Budget & Economy|
Blake Moore: Rely on state and local stakeholders for recovery parameters.
Lisa McClain: Supports the line item veto.
Yvette Herrell: For balanced budget amendment & line item veto.
Young Kim: Links good jobs to lower taxes & less regulations.
David Valadao: Balancing the budget , cutting debt will help the economy.
Renee Unterman: Wants balanced budget Constitutional amendment.
Pete Stauber: Block grants to invest in small cities and towns.
Lance Harris: Less government is better; cut taxes and waste.
Barry Moore: Government should spend carefully & reduce national debt.
Greg Murphy: Curtail spending; $22T debt mortgages our children's futures.
Byron Donalds: Racism not a threat to domestic security; radical groups are.
Jerry Carl: Gospel is clear that racism has no place in our society.
Marjorie Taylor Greene: Don't ban crosses or 10 Commandments from government.
Tracey Mann: Separation doesn't mean taking God out of our schools.
Matt Rosendale: Media portrays racial relations as worse than they are.
Yvette Herrell: Condemns racism, but widely blown out of proportion.
Yvette Herrell: Must follow court ruling, but open to amending Constitution.
Yvette Herrell: Systemic racism in law enforcement a false narrative.
Nikema Williams: No voter suppression, count every vote.
Nancy Mace: Will support John Lewis's legacy.
Chris Pappas: Supported NO BAN act, opposing religious travel restrictions.
Ilhan Omar: The slogan "Defund the Police" is a policy demand.
Michelle Fischbach: Keep Rikers Island open and do not ease bail requirements.
Nancy Mace: Hires former marijuana lobbyist, supports legalization.
Tulsi Gabbard: Relief for marijuana industry, including SBA assistance.
Blake Moore: Local control for K-12 and workforce needs for higher ed.
Jake LaTurner: Reduce loans in exchange for service in rural communities.
John Yarmuth: Fund STEM programs and internet access for students.
Mary Miller: No student loan bailout; promote alternatives.
Jason Crow: Supports STEM education funding.
Jim McGovern: Embrace STEM as a life-long learning experience.
John Yarmuth: Critical that evolution, climate change be taught in schools.
Madison Cawthorn: Supports school choice for parents.
Mike Quigley: Support crucial role of STEM education.
Peter Meijer: Pay off college loans for military & those in public service.
Steve Lynch: For STEM training across all educational levels.
Young Kim: Local control for education, not D.C. bureaucrats.
Michelle Fischbach: Supports local control of education, not big bureaucracies.
Ronny Jackson: K-12 education should have local and state control.
Christy Smith: Pay teachers a living wage and decrease student debt.
Kendra Horn: Participated in teacher walkout protesting Oklahoma cuts.
Kendra Horn: Remove student loans from credit histories.
Energy & Oil|
John Yarmuth: Invest in clean, renewable energy to fight climate change.
Jason Crow: Re-enter Paris Agreement on climate change.
Bill Keating: Create good jobs via offshore wind energy development.
Madison Cawthorn: Private sector key to becoming a clean energy exporter.
Mike Quigley: U.S. must rejoin Paris Agreement to combat climate change.
August Pfluger: Secure energy independence with U.S. oil and gas.
Michelle Fischbach: Reduce greenhouse gas and expand renewable energy use.
Nancy Mace: Advocates complete ban on off-shore drilling.
Sean Casten: We must lower our greenhouse gas emissions.
Blake Moore: When setting environmental policy, prioritize state rights.
John Yarmuth: Federal government must ensure access to healthy environment.
Madison Cawthorn: Top down federal agricultural regulations do not work.
Mike Quigley: I've been a member of the Sierra Club since I was 16.
Michelle Fischbach: Farmers are best conservationists.
Chris Pappas: Called on EPA to maintain & strengthen Clean Water Act.
Pete Stauber: Supports EPA agreement on St. Louis River contamination.
Families & Children|
Jason Crow: Require childhood vaccinations for public schools.
Dan Bishop: Christian values and our Constitution made America great.
Blake Moore: Do not allow China to take advantage of America.
Andrew Clyde: Cut foreign aid to countries not even our allies.
Ayanna Pressley: Signed letter opposing Israeli annexation of territories.
Pramilla Jayapal: Signed letter opposing Israeli annexation of territories.
Renee Unterman: Yes to US embassy in Jerusalem; no to BDS boycott.
Darrell Issa: Must stop China from dumping goods & manipulating currency.
Randy Feenstra: For trade deals that will lead to new markets for farmers.
Michelle Fischbach: Yes to Trump's US-Mexico-Canada trade agreement.
Ben McAdams: Long overdue to stand up to China's abusive trade practices.
Tim Burchett: Phase One China deal creates fairer trade for America.
Annie Kuster: For USMCA trade deal after labor, environmental additions.
Chris Pappas: For USMCA trade deal after labor, environmental additions.
Jared Golden: Voted against USMCA trade pacts as no benefit to Maine.
Mo Brooks: Will challenge Electoral College; vote stolen by socialists.
Jake LaTurner: Impose term limits on members of Congress.
Randy Feenstra: Government regulation limits opportunity.
David Valadao: Less regulation and lower taxes will create jobs.
Michelle Fischbach: Fight corruption with transparency and election reform.
Barry Moore: If getting to a polling place is difficult, vote absentee.
Tom Tiffany: Cut federal budget wherever possible.
Pete Stauber: Bar members of Congress from owning individual stocks.
Dan Bishop: Require photo ID to vote; supports Constitutional Amendment.
Blake Moore: Fully supports the second amendment and right to bear arms.
Jerry Carl: Lifetime NRA member who opposes all gun control.
Andrew Clyde: Right to keep and bear arms is guaranteed by God our creator.
Jake LaTurner: Second amendment is a foundational right.
Mary Miller: Enforce existing laws rather than enacting new ones.
Tracey Mann: Protect 2nd Amendment rights instead of restricting them.
Lisa McClain: I support the NRA positions on gun ownership.
Yvette Herrell: Do not support any restrictions on law-abiding citizens.
Ronny Jackson: Supports gun ownership and public carry.
Michelle Fischbach: Constitutional and God-given right to own guns.
Barry Moore: No restrictions on AR15's nor high capacity magazines.
Renee Unterman: Strong for 2nd amendment and "stand your ground" laws.
Tom Tiffany: A+ NRA rating, helped pass conceal and carry in WI.
Bill Hightower: Proud to be an A rated NRA legislator.
Greg Murphy: No further burdens to purchase and own firearms.
Dan Bishop: Gun owner; endorsed by the NRA.
Blake Moore: Need to do more at federal level to address mental health.
Blake Moore: Replace Obama Care with market-driven health care.
Jerry Carl: Repeal and replace ObamaCare.
Byron Donalds: Obamacare is attempt for government takeover of healthcare.
John Yarmuth: Increase funding for community health centers.
Lance Harris: Decrease enrollment on government-funded healthcare.
Jason Crow: Create Health Force to respond to COVID & future emergencies.
Collin Peterson: I support home-based health care as an option.
Michelle Fischbach: Look at waste; root out fraud and abuse.
Michelle Fischbach: Establish out of pocket cap for senior prescriptions.
Michelle Fischbach: Support home visits covered by tax credits & Medicare.
Lisa McClain: End all Medicare fraud, no to Medicare for All.
Lisa McClain: Prescription drugs: government needs to get out of the way.
Mike Quigley: Defunding public health agencies devastating during COVID.
Steve Lynch: Give undocumented immigrants access to no-cost COVID care.
Young Kim: Government controlled health care will lead to high taxes.
Nancy Mace: Americans should not have to forego health care due to cost.
David Valadao: Market-based competition is best health care solution.
Michelle Fischbach: ACA is socialized medicine; reform within system.
Nancy Mace: Advocates full repeal of ObamaCare.
Christy Smith: Give public option healthcare to those who want it.
Tom Tiffany: Supports competition to lower health care costs.
Bill Hightower: Repeal and replace Obamacare.
Mike Gallagher: Introduced bill to cut off purchase of China-made drugs.
Sean Casten: Lower drug prices.
Lucy McBath: Lower cost for prescription drugs.
Greg Murphy: ObamaCare was one of worst pieces of legislation ever passed.
Scott Franklin: Committed to strengthening national security.
Jason Crow: Earth observing satellites key to combat climate change.
Peter Meijer: Helped pass veteran education legislation.
Barry Moore: Committed to securing benefits for military families.
Lauren Underwood: Protect rural & suburban areas from domestic terrorism.
Greg Murphy: Keep promises to our veterans.
Greg Murphy: Maintain Constitutionally-mandated strong national defense.
Dan Bishop: Strong national defense is Constitutional & moral mandate.
Blake Moore: First secure border, then encourage legal immigration.
Jerry Carl: The wall will protect the U.S. from drugs and gangs.
Jim McGovern: Immigrants should have access to quality health care.
Marjorie Taylor Greene: Must stop radical Islamic terrorist from entering US.
Darrell Issa: Sanctuary cities are illegal and should not be allowed.
Bill Keating: Keep visa programs that enable foreign workers to stay in US.
Steve Lynch: Against bureaucratic delays affecting immigrant STEM workers.
Yvette Herrell: Eliminate birthright citizenship & chain migration.
Randy Feenstra: Fight sanctuary cities and build the wall.
Young Kim: Fix broken system and encourage legal immigration.
August Pfluger: Secure border to keep out illegal immigrants.
David Valadao: Develop path to citizenship and do not separate families.
Michelle Fischbach: Illegals should not vote or have a driver's license.
Nancy Mace: Secure our border to increase national security.
Ronny Jackson: US needs border wall to protect us from illegal immigrants.
Michelle Fischbach: Build border wall; support ICE; no illegals.
Renee Unterman: Build wall to keep illegals and their drugs and violence out.
Christy Smith: Path to citizenship for DREAMers and law-abiding residents.
Tom Tiffany: For border wall and against amnesty.
Bill Hightower: Secure borders with wall to keep people out.
Greg Murphy: Oppose amnesty & enforce the laws already in place.
Dan Bishop: Supports the border wall.
Kathy Manning: Immigration reform and pathways for DREAMers.
Lisa McClain: Reopen economy; increase the stock market.
Yvette Herrell: Worker visas: use to strengthen country, not cheap labor.
Principles & Values|
Jerry Carl: Dems and Republicans can work together to solve problems.
Barry Moore: Protect religion from government, not other way around.
Jake LaTurner: Don't drive God out of the town square.
Lance Harris: Parents instilled strong Christian faith.
Luke Letlow: Against erasing God from public square, public life.
Tracey Mann: Pro life, pro ag, pro gun, pro Trump.
Matt Rosendale: Promote freedom, Christianity and democratic principles.
Yvette Herrell: It's time we get God back in the conversation.
Yvette Herrell: There is no constitutional separation of church and state.
Yvette Herrell: I am a biblical and constitutional conservative.
Barry Moore: Lives by Faith, Family, Finance and Freedom.
Ben McAdams: Member of the bipartisan Problem Solvers caucus.
Barry Moore: Allow workers tax free options with private accounts.
Byron Donalds: Raise the retirement age for those under 50.
Jake LaTurner: Slowly increase retirement age; means testing for wealthy.
Marjorie Taylor Greene: I would phase out entitlement programs.
Michelle Fischbach: Don't cut current benefits, reform must be bipartisan.
Lisa McClain: Look at all options to ensure for younger generation.
Lisa McClain: Give younger generation investment options.
Matt Rosendale: Modifications may be necessary moving forward.
Yvette Herrell: Raise retirement age, means testing, slow growth of benefits.
Michelle Fischbach: Strengthen Social Security and Medicare.
Sean Casten: People with special needs losing Social Security.
Scott Franklin: Focus on lowering taxes and decreasing federal spending.
Jerry Carl: Make Trump tax cuts permanent and eliminate estate tax.
Michelle Fischbach: Reduce taxes and red tape to support jobs and businesses.
Dan Bishop: Lower taxes and smaller government.
Bernie Sanders: Facebook is anti-competitive, should be broken up.
Xochitl Torres Small: Hailed $165 million for rural broadband in New Mexico.
Jim McGovern: Government should not use facial recognition technology.
John Yarmuth: Fund NSF and NIH to fuel economic growth.
Jason Crow: Government must fund science to be ready for the future.
Bill Keating: Facial technology oversight to help combat racial biases.
Jim McGovern: Social media is a wonderful tool, but can also cause harm.
Madison Cawthorn: Improving roads to connect rural residents a top priority.
Mike Quigley: Federal government must ensure funding for labs and research.
Steve Lynch: Conduct robust oversight over social media platforms.
Nancy Mace: Rebuild infrastructure without burdensome regulations.
War & Peace|
Byron Donalds: US must eliminate radical Islamic terrorism.
Jerry Carl: Continually fight the threat of radical Islamic terrorism.
Yvette Herrell: Eliminate radical Islam; maintain support for Israel.
Welfare & Poverty|
Mike Quigley: Government should lead on new agricultural approaches.
The above quotations are from News coverage of 2020 House of Representatives elections.
Special coverage of "Red Wave" states:
CA: 7 new House members including 1 Democrat hold & 2 Republican holds; and 3 Republican takeovers + 1 SPEL takeover
FL: 5 new House members, including 2 Republican holds and 3 Republican takeovers
NY: 5 new House members including 3 Democrat holds & 1 Republican hold; and 1 Republican takeover + 1 SPEL hold
TX: 7 new House members, all 7 Republican holds.
All other states: 52 new House members including 10 Republican takeovers and 3 Democratic takeovers
Endorsements: Organizational endorsements of new House members, from groups that focus on one issue
2021 House incumbents: continuing coverage of the 117th Congress
Conclusion: the "Red Wave" means Republicans made some gains in Congress when they were expected to lose seats.