Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
News coverage of `Blue Wave` 2018 House races in Michigan
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2018 House MI elections (number of quotes indicated):
- Andy Levin (20) Democrat U.S. Rep Michigan- 9
- Brenda Jones (21) Democrat U.S. Rep Michigan- 13
- Debbie Dingell (2) Democratic House Member U.S. Rep Michigan-12
- Elissa Slotkin (17) Democrat U.S. Rep Michigan- 8
- Haley Stevens (9) Democrat U.S. Rep Michigan- 11
- Justin Amash (5) Michigan Libertarian Presidential Challenger
- Rashida Tlaib (22) Democrat U.S. Rep Michigan- 13
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
2018 Michigan House race news coverage:
- MI-12: Orlando Sentinel, "EPA's Clean Water Act rollbacks must be stopped," by Jenna Stevens and Rep. Darren Soto, May 07, 2020
- MI-12: Fox News Sunday interview of Debbie Dingell, Dec. 22, 2019
- MI-11: The Oakland Press, "Haley Stevens forms task force to improve recycling efforts nationwide," by Mark Cavitt, Dec 10, 2019
- MI-9 & MI-11: Michigan Advance, "2 Michigan Dems push for federal family leave changes," by Allison Donahue, November 14, 2019
- MI-11: FOX 2 Detroit, "Haley Stevens introduces bill to lower prescription drug costs," by Jack Nissen, October 15, 2019
- MI-3: Washington Blade, "House votes to defund trans military ban in rebuke to Trump," by Chris Johnson, June 18, 2019
- MI-8: Detroit Free Press, "Why Elissa Slotkin passed on the Green New Deal," by Todd Spangler, 3/29/2019
- MI-8: WKYC3, "Why Michigan's new Congresswoman Slotkin took heat from angry Democrats," by Phoebe Wall Howard, 11/9/2018
- MI-8: The Oakland Press, "Election 2018: Elissa Slotkin Q&A," by Mark Cavitt, 10/22/2018
- MI-11: National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare (NCPSSM.org), "Seniors Advocacy Group Endorses Five New Social Security & Medicare Champions," 10/17/2018
- MI-9, HRC Michigan, "Human Rights Campaign Endorses Andy Levin for U.S. Congress," September 28, 2018
- MI-13: ThinkProgress.org, "Rashida Tlaib lays out her radical green vision for Michigan," by E.A. Crunden, August 30, 2018
- MI-9: AFL-CIO.org, "Best Candidates for Working People, 2018: Andy Levin," by Kenneth Quinnell, 8.16.2018
- MI-13: The Nation, "Tlaib Is Running for Congress on a Mission to Expand Civil-Rights Protections," by John Nichols, 8/9/2018
- MI-13: The Southgate News-Herald, “Special election, regular primary to be held concurrently,” by Dave Herndon, July 26, 2018
- MI-8: Yahoo News, "Not Your Average Democrat: Who is Elissa Slotkin?" by Brendan Cole, 6/9/2018
- MI-3: Mother Jones magazine, "Will GOP Rebel Justin Amash Bring Down the NSA?", by Tim Murphy, 11/30/2013
Special coverage of "Blue Wave" states:
- CA: 7 new House members including 6 Democrats and 5 Democratic takeovers
- FL: 5 new House members including 2 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- MI: 5 new House members including 4 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- MN: 5 new House members including 3 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers (and 1 Republican takeover!)
- NJ: 4 new House members including 4 Democrats and 3 Democratic takeovers
- NY: 4 new House members including 4 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- PA: 7 new House members including 4 Democrats and 4 Democratic takeovers (with statewide redistricting)
- TX: 10 new House members including 4 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- VA: 5 new House members including 3 Democrats and 3 Democratic takeovers
- Endorsements: Organizational endorsements of new House members, from groups that focus on one issue
- All other states: 51 new House members including 17 Democratic takeovers
Conclusion: the "Blue Wave" means Democrats took over Congress but the rest is media hype.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Justin Amash: Would extend 14th Amendment rights to fetuses.
Budget & Economy|
Justin Amash: Wants major cuts of government programs.
Justin Amash: Allow transgender people in the military.
Rashida Tlaib: Will propose new Civil Rights Act, Justice for All.
Brenda Jones: Fight for funding & legal protection for LGBT community.
Andy Levin: Will work to end discrimination against LGBT+ people.
Rashida Tlaib: Supports fighting discrimination with new Civil Rights Act.
Rashida Tlaib: Title IX creates incentives to ignore gender discrimination.
Elissa Slotkin: Important LGBTQ progress must be defended and advanced.
Justin Amash: Government shouldn't be defining marriage.
Brenda Jones: Close corporate tax loopholes; make them pay fair share.
Rashida Tlaib: Stop corporate welfare tax giveaways; they hurt citizens.
Brenda Jones: Work to decriminalize non-violent federal offenses.
Andy Levin: Advocates criminal justice reform for fairer system.
Brenda Jones: Federally fund state & public higher education choices.
Rashida Tlaib: Tuition-free higher education, including trade schools.
Brenda Jones: Universal education plan: early education through college.
Elissa Slotkin: Earn-while-you-learn at community colleges.
Andy Levin: Universal public education, starting with preschool.
Energy & Oil|
Elissa Slotkin: Need a climate change bill that's specific & result-oriented.
Brenda Jones: Backs clean energy incentives & expanding renewables.
Andy Levin: Stopping global warming is moral imperative.
Brenda Jones: Invest in clean, renewable and alternative energy sources.
Haley Stevens: Supported Cash for Clunkers, for environmental efficiency.
Rashida Tlaib: Expand renewable energy; phase out dirty fossil fuels.
Rashida Tlaib: For green new deal: building renewable energy infrastructure.
Debbie Dingell: Called on EPA to maintain & strengthen Clean Water Act.
Haley Stevens: Launched Congressional Plastics Solutions Task Force.
Brenda Jones: Close loopholes that exempt drilling & fracking from EPA.
Rashida Tlaib: Fight to cleanup environment and undo EPA's budget cuts.
Brenda Jones: Protect wildlife and national parks from private interests.
Elissa Slotkin: Protecting our Great Lakes must be a top priority.
Rashida Tlaib: Fight invasive species & pollution in the Great Lakes.
Families & Children|
Andy Levin: Expand Family Leave for both spouses at same employer.
Haley Stevens: Expand Family Leave for both spouses at same employer.
Andy Levin: Expand paid family leave; fight for gender pay equity.
Andy Levin: Need trade policy to support workers, planet, not free trade.
Elissa Slotkin: Discipline China on trade, without hurting American business.
Andy Levin: Make increasing living standards a part of all trade deals.
Rashida Tlaib: Helping trade flow should mean good jobs for the community.
Andy Levin: Supports election reform & overturning Citizens United.
Elissa Slotkin: Doesn't accept corporate contributions to her campaign.
Rashida Tlaib: Overturn Citizens United; fight voter suppression.
Andy Levin: Turn democracy from a spectator sport to participation sport.
Brenda Jones: Eliminate discriminatory voter suppression laws.
Brenda Jones: Eliminate dark money in federal elections.
Elissa Slotkin: We should be making it easier to legally vote, not harder.
Haley Stevens: Citizens United lets anonymous billionaires buy elections.
Rashida Tlaib: Fight back against voter suppression that targets minorities.
Elissa Slotkin: Believes in the Second Amendment but with background checks.
Haley Stevens: Lower prescription drug costs for Medicare beneficiaries.
Brenda Jones: Supports a single-payer Medicare-for-All healthcare system.
Elissa Slotkin: Support ObamaCare's coverage of pre-existing conditions.
Rashida Tlaib: Medicare-for-All: healthcare is a right, not a privilege.
Andy Levin: Medicare-for-All is first step toward basic morality.
Brenda Jones: Single-payer system is best, without individual mandate.
Elissa Slotkin: Buy-in to Medicare; then negotiate drug prices.
Haley Stevens: Protect ObamaCare: health care is a right, not a privilege.
Rashida Tlaib: ObamaCare was step in direction toward universal healthcare.
Andy Levin: Health care is a basic human right, period.
Andy Levin: Medicare-for-All; address prescription drug cost.
Elissa Slotkin: Supports vets wage bump; but cut Pentagon budget elsewhere.
Brenda Jones: Remove burden of proof from Vets; stop delays in benefits.
Justin Amash: Led fight in House against domestic NSA surveillance.
Brenda Jones: Congress should create reasonable pathway for immigration.
Rashida Tlaib: Provide a pathway to citizenship for undocumented & DREAMers.
Andy Levin: Founded IRATE:Immigration Reform/Advocacy/Training/Education.
Brenda Jones: Protect DREAMers, and pathway to citizenship for others.
Elissa Slotkin: Path to citizenship for DREAMers; then comprehensive reform.
Haley Stevens: Comprehensive reform, with long-term solution for DREAMers.
Rashida Tlaib: Pathway to citizenship for all undocumented residents.
Brenda Jones: Increase minimum wage to $15/hr and match inflation rate.
Rashida Tlaib: Equal pay for equal work, make it fair for everyone.
Rashida Tlaib: Protect the unions; they built the middle class.
Rashida Tlaib: Fight for $15 minimum wage, plus livable wage jobs.
Andy Levin: Too many of our jobs have been offshored or contracted out.
Rashida Tlaib: $15 hourly minimum wage is economic justice.
Andy Levin: Too many jobs have been offshored and privatized.
Andy Levin: No Worker Left Behind: 120,000 jobs during Great Recession.
Principles & Values|
Debbie Dingell: Voted for impeachment because of danger to national security.
Brenda Jones: Stand up for constituents when not getting their fair share.
Andy Levin: Make wealthy pay more to protect Social Security.
Haley Stevens: Fight any attempt at Social Security privatization.
Elissa Slotkin: Medicare & Social Security: pillars of retirement security.
Brenda Jones: Expand Social Security; amend contribution limits.
Rashida Tlaib: Against any cuts to Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.
Andy Levin: Fight efforts at Social Security privatization.
Elissa Slotkin: Make tax bill more equitable, and eliminate loopholes.
Elissa Slotkin: Real federal dollars for infrastructure on roads and water.
Elissa Slotkin: Laser-focus on fixing crumbling roads & water infrastructure.
Haley Stevens: Invest in maintenance & repair of built environment.
Andy Levin: Green infrastructure plan for roads, water, and trains.
War & Peace|
Brenda Jones: Diplomacy is basis of foreign policy; war is last resort.
Elissa Slotkin: Since Iraq war, Congress has failed to update the 2001 AUMF.
Welfare & Poverty|
Rashida Tlaib: Lift up under-represented communities and voices.
Brenda Jones: Abolish unfair redlining practices in her district.
The above quotations are from News coverage of `Blue Wave` 2018 House races in Michigan.