Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
VoteSmart synopsis of 2015-2016 legislative records
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from VoteSmart 2015-2016 legislative records (number of quotes indicated):
- Brian Mast (8) Republican U.S. Rep Florida- 18
- Cory Booker (1) New Jersey Mayor of Newark; N.J. Senator
- Curtis Coleman (4) Republican Senate challenger Arkansas
- Daniel Biss (2) Illinois Democratic candidate for Governor
- David Jolly (1) Republican Senate Challenger Florida
- Eliot Glassheim (11) Democratic candidate for Senate North Dakota
- Foster Campbell (11) Democratic candidate for Senate Louisiana
- Jamie Raskin (2) Democrat U.S. Rep Maryland- 8
- Jared Polis (2) Colorado Democratic candidate for Colorado Governor
- Jay Dardenne (1) Louisiana Republican 2015 Gubernatorial candidate
- Jimmy Panetta (5) Democrat U.S. Rep California- 20
- Kathy Szeliga (2) Republican Senate candidate Maryland
- Kelli Ward (2) Republican candidate for Arizona U.S. Senator Arizona
- Matthew Corey (5) Republican Candidate for Connecticut U.S. Senator Connecticut
- Mike Luke (5) Libertarian candidate for Washington U. S. Senator Washington
- Napoleon Harris (9) Democratic Senate candidate Illinois
- Richard Madaleno (2) Maryland Democratic candidate for governor of Maryland
- Ro Khanna (5) Democrat U.S. Rep California- 17
- Rocky Chavez (1) Republican Senate candidate California
- Rocky De La Fuente (14) Alliance / Reform Party primary challenger
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
- Project Vote-Smart surveys state legislative records and summarizes bill sponsorships and votes.
- OnTheIssues does the same thing from federal legislative records, by reading the Congressional Record (available through the Library of Congress online.)
- OnTheIssues sometimes reads state legislative records (for the few states that post their House and Senate journals online) and sometimes relies on VoteSmart (who use the more readily-available printed version).
- In both cases, the summaries are intended to be non-biased politically: a description of the bill, rather than an analysis of its effect.
- OnTheIssues also adds Pro and Con opinions on federal legislation, from proponents and opponents of each bill in the legislature or in private organizations.
- Generally, Pro and Con opinions are not available for most state legislation, so VoteSmart sticks to just summaries.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Brian Mast: Only allow abortion for rape, incest, and maternal life.
Matthew Corey: Pro-choice.
Mike Luke: Define life at conception; abortion is repugnant.
Rocky De La Fuente: Support a woman's right to choose, with limitations.
Eliot Glassheim: Pro-choice, but parental notification is ok.
Budget & Economy|
Jimmy Panetta: Grow economy in a way that creates jobs & raises wages.
Eliot Glassheim: Federal spending promotes growth better than tax cuts.
Foster Campbell: Oppose same-sex marriage, but respect Supreme Court ruling.
Matthew Corey: Supports same-sex marriage.
Eliot Glassheim: Supports same-sex marriage.
Kelli Ward: Rated 0% by Stonewall Democrats for anti-gay policies.
Jay Dardenne: OpEd: Mixed record on gender identity issues.
Brian Mast: Tax businesses less, to spur job creation.
Ro Khanna: Close loopholes that allow companies to avoid paying taxes.
Rocky De La Fuente: Tax incentives to businesses for purpose of job creation.
Brian Mast: Supports capital punishment & mandatory minimums.
Jimmy Panetta: Supports alternatives but accepts mandatory minimums.
Ro Khanna: Support alternatives to prison; oppose capital punishment.
Foster Campbell: Death penalty yes; alternatives yes; mandatory minimums no.
Jared Polis: No mandatory minimums; yes alternative sentencing.
Matthew Corey: Supports capital punishment but not mandatory minimums.
Rocky De La Fuente: Supports capital punishment.
Curtis Coleman: No mandatory minimums, but death penalty ok.
Eliot Glassheim: Supports death penalty & alternatives for non-violent crimes.
Rocky Chavez: Voted NO on amending "profiling" regulations for police.
Daniel Biss: Seal criminal records upon earning a GED, AA, or BA.
Napoleon Harris: Seal criminal records upon earning a GED, AA, or BA.
Rocky De La Fuente: Yes substance abuse treatment; no sentencing drug possession.
Napoleon Harris: Add PTSD to allowed compassionate use of marijuana.
Jamie Raskin: Reduce mandatory sentencing for drug offenses.
Richard Madaleno: Reduce mandatory sentencing for drug offenses.
Kathy Szeliga: Keep mandatory sentencing for drug offenses.
Ro Khanna: Make college affordable; prepare students for 21st century.
Curtis Coleman: Opposes mandatory reforms for competitive federal grants.
Energy & Oil|
Brian Mast: Regulate fracking; acknowledge climate change.
Jimmy Panetta: Regulate fracking; address climate change.
Foster Campbell: Build Keystone pipeline; no farcking regulation for now.
Foster Campbell: Regulate greenhouse gases; incentivize reducing emissions.
Matthew Corey: Yes to Keystone; no to funding renewables.
Mike Luke: Human activity isn't contributing to climate change.
Rocky De La Fuente: Build Keystone XL for biofuels; also regulate fracking.
Eliot Glassheim: Regulate greenhouse gases, and fund renewable energy.
Napoleon Harris: More renewable energy credit; more CO2 regulation.
David Jolly: Prohibit accounting for "social cost" of carbon emissions.
Cory Booker: Rated 100% on all animal welfare ratings.
Brian Mast: Repair infrastructure surrounding Lake Okeechobee.
Napoleon Harris: Exposing cats & dogs to extreme temperature is misdemeanor.
Kelli Ward: Rated 5% by Sierra Club for anti-environment policies.
Families & Children|
Rocky De La Fuente: Same-sex marriage is a fundamental right & a privacy right.
Kathy Szeliga: Voted against new birth certificates for sex changes.
Jamie Raskin: Voted for new birth certificates for sex changes.
Richard Madaleno: Voted for new birth certificates for sex changes.
Foster Campbell: Keep allies involved, but heed advice of military experts.
Brian Mast: Regulate "dark money" indirect campaign contributions.
Jimmy Panetta: Regulate "dark money" indirect campaign contributions.
Ro Khanna: I never accept contributions from lobbyists or PACs.
Foster Campbell: 10 year ban on lobbying for ex-members of congress.
Matthew Corey: Don't regulate union/corporate campaign contributions.
Rocky De La Fuente: Regulate campaign contributions from corporations and unions.
Eliot Glassheim: Regulate campaign contributions from corporations and unions.
Napoleon Harris: Automatic voter registration when getting driving license.
Foster Campbell: Enforce the gun laws we already have on the books.
Jared Polis: Supports gun-control legislation.
Rocky De La Fuente: Balance second amendment with "general welfare".
Eliot Glassheim: Opposes gun-control legislation except assault weapons ban.
Napoleon Harris: No concealed carry on private property, unless posted.
Napoleon Harris: Ban 3D-printed handguns for personal use.
Mike Luke: Repeal ObamaCare & leave healthcare to states.
Rocky De La Fuente: Course correction on ObamaCare, but no repeal.
Eliot Glassheim: Don't repeal ObamaCare, but do improve it.
Brian Mast: Don't cut defense to balance budget.
Jimmy Panetta: Defense spending on the table to balance the budget.
Ro Khanna: Control the ballooning of the Defense budget.
Rocky De La Fuente: Balance budget by reducing defense spending.
Foster Campbell: No pathway to citizenship without exiting US first.
Rocky De La Fuente: Secure our broken borders without abandoning our values.
Eliot Glassheim: Supports comprehensive immigration package.
Foster Campbell: I do not support privatization of Social Security.
Mike Luke: Opposes personal retirement accounts.
Rocky De La Fuente: Divert some Soc.Sec. taxes to personal retirement accounts.
Curtis Coleman: Divert some FICA taxes into personal retirement accounts.
Eliot Glassheim: No personal retirement accounts.
Daniel Biss: Allow old age beneficiaries to also receive unemployment.
Napoleon Harris: Allow old age beneficiaries to also receive unemployment.
Foster Campbell: Make sure the super-rich pay their fair share.
Mike Luke: Eliminate inheritance taxes; decrease middle-income taxes.
Rocky De La Fuente: Decrease capital gains, inheritance, & income taxes.
Napoleon Harris: $15M for studying high speed rail.
War & Peace|
Brian Mast: ISIS is simply evil; such people need to be erased.
Foster Campbell: No American intervention in Iraq & Syria beyond air support.
Rocky De La Fuente: Increase intervention in Iraq and Syria beyond air support.
Curtis Coleman: Use military force top prevent nuclear proliferation.
Eliot Glassheim: Target terrorists anywhere; prevent hostile nuclear weapons.
The above quotations are from VoteSmart synopsis of 2015-2016 legislative records.
- 2020 Political Courage Test: House and Senate
- 2018 State legislation: House, Senate, and Governor
- 2016 State legislation: Presidential, Gubernatorial, and State
- 2013-2014 Political Courage Test: Gubernatorial & Senate, plus legislative records
- 2011-12 State legislation: House and Senate plus legislative records
- 2009-10 Political Courage Tests: Senatorial, Gubernatorial, and State legislation
- 2008 Political Courage Tests: Presidential, Gubernatorial, and Senatorial
- 2006 Political Awareness Tests: Gubernatorial and Senatorial
- 2004 Political Awareness Tests: Presidential, Gubernatorial, and Senatorial
- 2002 Political Awareness Tests: Gubernatorial and Senatorial
- 2000 Political Awareness Tests: Presidential and Congress
- 1996-1998 Political Awareness Tests: House, Senate, and State
- Collections of Voter Guides:
- American Family Association iVoterGuides:
- Science Debate Voter Guides:
- CampusElect.org Voter Guides:
- AARP voter guides:
- Vote-USA.org voter guides:
- Miscellaneous voter guides: