Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
Books by and about the 2016 presidential election|
| What Happened ,|
by Hillary Clinton (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Becoming ,|
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
VoteSmart synopsis of 2000-2010 legislative records
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from VoteSmart 2000-2010 legislative records (number of quotes indicated):
- Carlos Lopez-Cantera (1) Republican Senate Challenger Florida
- Chris Powell (3) Oklahoma Libertarian candidate for governor
- Deborah Ross (1) Democratic Senate candidate North Carolina
- Gretchen Whitmer (1) Michigan Democratic candidate for Governor
- James Emerson Smith (3) South Carolina Democratic candidate for governor
- Jason Kander (1) Democratic Senate candidate Missouri
- Matthew Corey (4) Republican Candidate for Connecticut U.S. Senator Connecticut
- Rob Hogg (2) Democratic Senate challenger Iowa
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
- Project Vote-Smart surveys state legislative records and summarizes bill sponsorships and votes.
- OnTheIssues does the same thing from federal legislative records, by reading the Congressional Record (available through the Library of Congress online.)
- OnTheIssues sometimes reads state legislative records (for the few states that post their House and Senate journals online) and sometimes relies on VoteSmart (who use the more readily-available printed version).
- In both cases, the summaries are intended to be non-biased politically: a description of the bill, rather than an analysis of its effect.
- OnTheIssues also adds Pro and Con opinions on federal legislation, from proponents and opponents of each bill in the legislature or in private organizations.
- Generally, Pro and Con opinions are not available for most state legislation, so VoteSmart sticks to just summaries.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
James Emerson Smith: Limit abortion to first trimester, or incest/rape situations.
Chris Powell: No public funding of organizations that perform abortions.
James Emerson Smith: Supports death penalty; ending parole; and more prisons.
Matthew Corey: Decriminalize medical marijuana.
Rob Hogg: $45M for teacher salary increases plus 4-year-old preschool.
Energy & Oil|
Gretchen Whitmer: Promote increased use of alternative fuel technology.
Matthew Corey: Open parts of ANWR Wildlife Refuge for oil exploration.
Carlos Lopez-Cantera: More disclosure of campaign contributions & fundraising.
Deborah Ross: Establish one-stop registration and voting sites.
Chris Powell: Supports on-line voting & term limits.
Chris Powell: No campaign donation limits, and no disclosure.
Jason Kander: Keep restrictions for concealed carry; don't loosen them.
Rob Hogg: No home mortgages for illegal immigrants.
Matthew Corey: No affirmative action; reduce state regulations on business.
James Emerson Smith: Eliminate inheritance tax, property tax, and vehicle tax.
Matthew Corey: Eliminate inheritance taxes; no state income tax.
The above quotations are from VoteSmart synopsis of 2000-2010 legislative records.
- 2020 Political Courage Test: House and Senate
- 2018 State legislation: House, Senate, and Governor
- 2016 State legislation: Presidential, Gubernatorial, and State
- 2013-2014 Political Courage Test: Gubernatorial & Senate, plus legislative records
- 2011-12 State legislation: House and Senate plus legislative records
- 2009-10 Political Courage Tests: Senatorial, Gubernatorial, and State legislation
- 2008 Political Courage Tests: Presidential, Gubernatorial, and Senatorial
- 2006 Political Awareness Tests: Gubernatorial and Senatorial
- 2004 Political Awareness Tests: Presidential, Gubernatorial, and Senatorial
- 2002 Political Awareness Tests: Gubernatorial and Senatorial
- 2000 Political Awareness Tests: Presidential and Congress
- 1996-1998 Political Awareness Tests: House, Senate, and State
- Collections of Voter Guides:
- American Family Association iVoterGuides:
- Science Debate Voter Guides:
- CampusElect.org Voter Guides:
- AARP voter guides:
- Vote-USA.org voter guides:
- Miscellaneous voter guides: