Books by and about 2016 presidential candidates|
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Crippled America ,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
| American Dreams,|
by Marco Rubio (2015)
| Taking a Stand,|
by Rand Paul (2015)
by Scott Walker (2013)
| A Time for Truth,|
by Ted Cruz (2015)
| One Nation,|
by Ben Carson (2014)
| Trump/Pence vs. Clinton/Kaine On the Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Living History ,|
by Hillary Rodham Clinton (2003)
| Between Hope and History ,|
by Bill Clinton (1996)
| In Harmís Way ,|
by Dr. Jill Stein (2000)
| Democrat vs. Republican vs. Green vs. Libertarian,|
Four Party's Presidential Nominees On The Issues (2016)
Books by and about 2012 presidential candidates|
| Ten Letters
about Pres. Barack Obama (2011)
| Do Not Ask What Good We Do
about Rep. Paul Ryan (2012)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2019 State of the Union address to Congress, plus the Republican Democratic Feb. 28, 2019
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2019 State of the Union address (number of quotes indicated):
- Bernie Sanders (10)
- Donald Trump (18)
- Stacey Abrams (9)
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Pres. Trump's State of the Union address, plus several responses from several Democratic factions.
This speech was postponed due to the federal government shutdown from Dec. 2018 to Jan. 2019.
Congress invites the president to address a joint session of the House and Senate,
and Speaker Nancy Pelosi said she would not issue an invitation while the government was shut down.
Two images have "gone viral" from this speech. The first is Speaker Pelosi's "clap-back" above.
President Trump spoke about replacing "revenge, resistance, and retribution" with "cooperation, compromise, and the common good."
Speaker Pelosi stood and applauded, as did Vice President Pence and most of the Congress.
When Trump turned to look at Pelosi, she "clapped back," continuing clapping but pointing at Trump.
Some interpreted that to mean that her applause was sarcastic, but Pelosi denied that.
The less cynical interpretation is that Pelosi welcomes Trump's overtures for cooperation and compromise, but by pointing back, asked the same from Trump.
The issue intended for compromise, presumably, is the issue that forced the federal shutdown: Trump's demand to build a wall along the southern border.
The "cooperation and compromise" would mean "some form of physical barrier and some additional border security that both sides can agree on, without necessarily an actual wall along the entire length of the border."
The second viral image is shown below: the women in Congress all wore white outfits, initiated by the House Democratic Women's Working Group.
Wearing white was a symbol of the women's suffrage movement, which culminated in the 19th Amendment to the United States Consitution in 1920, granting women the right to vote.
The coordinated apparel marked a century since the suffrage movement's peak, and also solidarity among Democratic women (including Speaker Pelosi, who wore white).
Some male Representatives also wore white, such as Dean Phillips (D,MN) who also wore an "ERA" button on his white lapel;
and some Republican women did too, such as Elise Stefanik (R,NY).
President Trump's daughter Tiffany also wore white, but would not say publicly if it was in solidarity or just a coincidence.
Pres. Trump, to his credit, really did lay out some important new policy initiatives in this speech -- his justification for withdrawing from the INF; a new anti-HIV goal; and the finalization of the USMCA, for three examples.
-- Jesse Gordon, jesse@OnTheIssues.org, Feb. 5, 2019
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Donald Trump: Cherish innocent life instead of ripping babies from womb.
Stacey Abrams: Roe v. Wade achieved a measure of reproductive justice.
Budget & Economy|
Bernie Sanders: US "hottest economy" only applies to the wealthy.
Stacey Abrams: Call racism what it is: wrong.
Bernie Sanders: Economy is great, for those who get corporate stock buybacks.
Bernie Sanders: Majority want tax on wealthy and regulation of Wall Street.
Stacey Abrams: Republican tax bill rigged the system against working class.
Donald Trump: First Step Act: criminal justice reform & fairer sentencing.
Donald Trump: MS-13 gangs in 20 states smuggle in meth & opioids.
Stacey Abrams: Invest what is necessary for education from cradle to career.
Energy & Oil|
Bernie Sanders: We have 12 years to transform to sustainable energy.
Donald Trump: Net exporter for the first time in 65 years.
Families & Children|
Donald Trump: Doubled the child tax credit.
Donald Trump: Girls smuggled across border into modern-day slavery.
Stacey Abrams: Family values: faith, service, education & responsibility.
Donald Trump: Recognize new government of Venezuela, not military.
Bernie Sanders: Real problem with trade is jobs shipped overseas.
Donald Trump: Tariffs on $250B of Chinese goods: Treasury gains billions.
Donald Trump: USMCA delivers dreams shattered by catastrophe of NAFTA.
Stacey Abrams: Fair Fight: Bedrock guarantee of right to vote.
Stacey Abrams: Federal shutdowns are a stunt: furloughs hurt workers.
Donald Trump: Unacceptable for Americans to pay more for exact same drugs.
Donald Trump: Eliminate HIV/AIDS epidemic within 10 years.
Stacey Abrams: Protect progress of ObamaCare, instead of lawsuits.
Donald Trump: Withdraw from INF and develop Missile Defense System.
Bernie Sanders: Undocumented immigrants commit fewer crimes than citizens.
Bernie Sanders: Comprehensive reform instead of an emergency wall.
Donald Trump: Coyotes out of business on very dangerous southern border.
Donald Trump: Powerful wall in San Diego stopped nearly all crossings.
Donald Trump: 3,750 troops to prepare for onslaught of Mexican caravans.
Stacey Abrams: 21st-century Immigration plan, not walls nor open borders.
Bernie Sanders: Real wages for working class in 2019 are lower than in 1973.
Donald Trump: 600,000 new manufacturing jobs with rising blue-collar wages.
Principles & Values|
Donald Trump: Common good & compromise over revenge & retribution.
Bernie Sanders: Fix our nation's infrastructure; don't privatize it.
War & Peace|
Bernie Sanders: Our Saudi allies give US-made weapons to Al Qaeda in Yemen.
Donald Trump: Afghani settlement: great nations do not fight endless wars.
The above quotations are from 2019 State of the Union address to Congress, plus the Republican Democratic Feb. 28, 2019.
Related books, debates, and candidates:
- 2019 State of the Union speech, plus responses by the Democratic Party
- 2019 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2018 State of the Union speech, plus response by the Democratic Party
- 2018 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2017 State of the Union speech, plus response by the Democratic Party
- 2017 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2016 State of the Union speech
- 2016 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2015 State of the Union speech
- 2015 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2014 State of the Union speech, plus response by Green Party, Republican Party, and Tea Party
- 2014 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2013 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2013 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2012 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2012 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2011 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2011 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2007-2011 Mayors' State of the City speeches
- 2010 Governors' State of the State speeches
- Obama Q+A at GOP House Retreat, Jan. 2010
- 2010 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Bob McDonnell (R, VA)
- 2009 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2009 Address to Joint Session of Congress, plus response by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R, LA)
- 2009 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2008 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Kathleen Sebelius (D, KS)
- 2008 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2007 State of the Union speech, plus response by Sen. James Webb (D, VA)
- 2007 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2006 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Tim Kaine (D, VA)
- 2005 State of the Union speech, plus responses by Sen Harry Reid (D, NV) & Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA)
- 2004 State of the Union speech, plus responses by Sen Tom Daschle (D, SD) & Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA)
- 2004 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2001 Governors' State of the State speeches
- Other early 2000s Governors' State of the State speeches
- Other late 1990s Governors' State of the State speeches
- Historical State of the Union addresses: