Books by and about 2016 presidential candidates|
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Crippled America ,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
| American Dreams,|
by Marco Rubio (2015)
| Taking a Stand,|
by Rand Paul (2015)
by Scott Walker (2013)
| A Time for Truth,|
by Ted Cruz (2015)
| One Nation,|
by Ben Carson (2014)
| Trump/Pence vs. Clinton/Kaine On the Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Living History ,|
by Hillary Rodham Clinton (2003)
| Between Hope and History ,|
by Bill Clinton (1996)
| In Harmís Way ,|
by Dr. Jill Stein (2000)
| Democrat vs. Republican vs. Green vs. Libertarian,|
Four Party's Presidential Nominees On The Issues (2016)
Books by and about 2012 presidential candidates|
| Ten Letters
about Pres. Barack Obama (2011)
| Do Not Ask What Good We Do
about Rep. Paul Ryan (2012)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2016 State of the Union address to Congress, plus the opposition party responses: Jan. 14, 2016
President Obama delivered his last State of the Union address; three opposing parties delivered responses:
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Barack Obama: Broad economic change causes economic insecurity for workers.
Gary Johnson: National debt, approaching $20 trillion, is bankrupting us.
Gary Johnson: It's racism to judge others by their birth, like Trump does.
Barack Obama: Discrimination ultimately makes US less safe.
Barack Obama: Private sector is lifeblood of economy but needs limits.
Barack Obama: Business should be more community oriented.
Barack Obama: Food stamps didn't cause financial crisis; Wall Street did.
Jill Stein: 80 billionaires own as much as the lower 50% of world.
Gary Johnson: States are finally seeing the failure of the War on Drugs.
Barack Obama: Universal Pre-K and computer science classes on horizon.
Barack Obama: Prioritize free community college and reducing student debt.
Jill Stein: Cancel college debt: it's now $35,000 per student.
Jill Stein: Make public college education free.
Jill Stein: Repeal incentives for privatization/charters in NCLB.
Energy & Oil|
Barack Obama: Clean energy for climate change & creating new business.
Barack Obama: Make technology work for us on climate change.
Barack Obama: 7 years of investment in solar & wind nationwide.
Jill Stein: "All of the above" policy puts fossil fuels above all.
Jill Stein: Climate change causes record storms, floods, and drought.
Margaret Flowers: World will reach the limits of its carbon budget in 2018.
Cory Booker: Trump would denigrate relationships with Muslim countries.
Barack Obama: World order in flux but US still dominates.
Barack Obama: US should learn lessons from Iraq and Vietnam.
Barack Obama: The Cold War is over; lift 50-year embargo on Cuba.
Margaret Flowers: End U.S. global hegemony and become cooperative partner.
Gary Johnson: I'm a real skeptic on trade agreements, but I would sign TPP.
Barack Obama: TPP facilitates US control over Asian market.
Barack Obama: TPP cuts 18,000 taxes on products made in America.
Jill Stein: Oppose bipartisan job-killing corporate trade agreements.
Jill Stein: Fight global trade deals' "investor-state" court system.
Barack Obama: Governing cannot work without compromise.
Barack Obama: We've got to make it easier to vote, not harder.
Tom Vilsack: Start conversation with a respect for the 2nd Amendment.
Barack Obama: 18 millions people have gained health insurance.
Barack Obama: Prioritize finding a cure for cancer.
Barack Obama: Lead eradication of malaria and HIV, like we did with Ebola.
Gary Johnson: ObamaCare's promise of lower cost simply isn't happening.
Joe Biden: Increased funding for NIH to highest level in a decade.
Barack Obama: Self-defeating to overstate ISIS threat.
Barack Obama: We spend more on military than next 8 nations combined.
Barack Obama: Talk of economic decline & military weakness is just hot air.
Gary Johnson: Spying on U.S. citizens dismantles the 4th Amendment.
Margaret Flowers: Empire Economy: projects the Pentagon rejects get funded.
Pope Francis: Imitating tyrant's violence means we take their place.
Jill Stein: FactCheck: 2.5M deportations counts removals, not returns.
Nikki Haley: FactCheck: US does have history of religion-based exclusion.
Jill Stein: We're deporting more immigrants than ever, 2.5M under Obama.
Jill Stein: Deportation of vulnerable refugees is morally abhorrent.
Nikki Haley: Immigrants have come for generations to live the dream.
Nikki Haley: Don't follow the siren call of anti-immigration anger.
Nikki Haley: Protect our borders, our sovereignty, and our citizens.
Barack Obama: US economy is strong: 900,000 new jobs in the past 6 years.
Barack Obama: Need retraining programs for workers who lose jobs.
Barack Obama: We've cut unemployment in half during my term.
Principles & Values|
Barack Obama: America is defined by innovative spirit: it's in our DNA.
Jill Stein: We are in state of crisis--for economy, ecology & democracy.
Barack Obama: Must continue to make technology accessible.
Barack Obama: We protected an open internet & got more Americans online.
Barack Obama: Put Americans to work on 21st-century transportation system.
Jill Stein: Green New Deal for efficient public transportation.
War & Peace|
Gary Johnson: We are no safer after years of failed nation-building abroad.
Welfare & Poverty|
Barack Obama: Expand tax cuts for childless low income workers.
Jill Stein: Millions thrown off food stamps because they can't find work.
The above quotations are from 2016 State of the Union address to Congress, plus the opposition party responses: Jan. 14, 2016.
Related books, debates, and candidates:
- 2017 State of the Union speech, plus response by the Democratic Party
- 2017 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2016 State of the Union speech
- 2016 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2015 State of the Union speech
- 2015 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2014 State of the Union speech, plus response by Green Party, Republican Party, and Tea Party
- 2014 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2013 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2013 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2012 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2012 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2011 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2011 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2007-2011 Mayors' State of the City speeches
- 2010 Governors' State of the State speeches
- Obama Q+A at GOP House Retreat, Jan. 2010
- 2010 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Bob McDonnell (R, VA)
- 2009 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2009 Address to Joint Session of Congress, plus response by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R, LA)
- 2009 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2008 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Kathleen Sebelius (D, KS)
- 2008 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2007 State of the Union speech, plus response by Sen. James Webb (D, VA)
- 2007 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2006 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Tim Kaine (D, VA)
- 2005 State of the Union speech, plus responses by Sen Harry Reid (D, NV) & Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA)
- 2004 State of the Union speech, plus responses by Sen Tom Daschle (D, SD) & Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA)
- 2004 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2001 Governors' State of the State speeches
- Other early 2000s Governors' State of the State speeches
- Other late 1990s Governors' State of the State speeches
- Historical State of the Union addresses: