Books by and about 2016 presidential candidates|
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Crippled America ,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
| American Dreams,|
by Marco Rubio (2015)
| Taking a Stand,|
by Rand Paul (2015)
by Scott Walker (2013)
| A Time for Truth,|
by Ted Cruz (2015)
| One Nation,|
by Ben Carson (2014)
| Trump/Pence vs. Clinton/Kaine On the Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Living History ,|
by Hillary Rodham Clinton (2003)
| Between Hope and History ,|
by Bill Clinton (1996)
| In Harm’s Way ,|
by Dr. Jill Stein (2000)
| Democrat vs. Republican vs. Green vs. Libertarian,|
Four Party's Presidential Nominees On The Issues (2016)
Books by and about 2012 presidential candidates|
| Ten Letters
about Pres. Barack Obama (2011)
| Do Not Ask What Good We Do
about Rep. Paul Ryan (2012)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2018 Tennessee Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2018 TN Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Bill Haslam (2) Tennessee Republican Governor
- Bill Lee (17) Tennessee Republican candidate for governor of Tennessee
- Diane Black (9) Tennessee Republican candidate for Tennessee Governor
- Karl Dean (28) Tennessee Democratic candidate for Governor
- Mark Green (3) Tennessee Republican candidate for Governor
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Tennessee 2018 Gubernatorial debates and race coverage:
- The Tennessean, "Karl Dean and Bill Lee on the issues facing Tennessee," August 2, 2018
- The Tennessean, "Bill Lee hopes personal transformation, business background set him apart," by Jordan Buie, July 12, 2018
- U.S. News & World Report, "Immigrant Tuition Splits Tennessee Governor's Field in Forum," by Jonathan Mattise, Jan 23, 2018
- The Hill, "Anti-abortion lawmakers push ‘Conscience Protection' bill," by Jessie Hellmann, 11/08/17
- WBIR-TV, "Lawmaker expects medical marijuana to be Top 5 issue," by Grant Robinson, Sep 4, 2017
- Washington Examiner, "Black wouldn't tear down Confederate general bust in state capitol," by Philip Wegmann , Aug. 22, 2017
- Newsmax.com, "Rep. Black: Closer Than Expected on Tax Reform," by Bill Hoffmann, April 27 2017
- The Tennessean, "Republican Governors Association on the attack early," by Joey Garrison, April 25, 2017
- U.S. News & World Report, "Bill Lee Joining Tennessee Governor's Race," April 23, 2017
- The Tennesseean, "Bill Lee announces run for governor," by Joel Ebert and Joey Garrison, April 23, 2017
- Nashville Public Radio, "Economic Development Away From Nashville," by Blake Farmer, Apr 19, 2017
- USA Today, "Mayor Karl Dean to run for governor," by Joey Garrison, Feb. 26, 2017
- Forbes magazine, "The Little Black Book of Billionaire Secrets: Illinois Vs. Tennessee," by Travis H. Brown, May 4, 2016
- Knoxville News-Sentinel, "Corporate income tax law is outdated," Op-Ed by State Sen. Mark Green, Feb. 21, 2015
- Memphis Flyer, "Dean Announces Support of Same-Sex Marriage," Aug 21, 2014
- WZTV-Fox-17, interview with Mark Green on 10th anniversary of Saddam Hussein's capture, 12/16/2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Bill Lee: Ban abortion, even for rape and incest.
Karl Dean: Politicians shouldn't insert themselves in abortion decision.
Diane Black: Opposes funding of Planned Parenthood.
Budget & Economy|
Bill Lee: Made hard decisions needed on company budget; it worked.
Diane Black: Get government off the backs of job creators.
Karl Dean: Economic development statewide instead of just Nashville.
Bill Haslam: Remove Confederate statues from state capitol.
Diane Black: Confederate statues are part of history.
Karl Dean: First in Tennessee to join Mayors for the Freedom to Marry.
Bill Lee: Reduce the tax & regulatory burden for everyone.
Karl Dean: Used tax incentives to lure companies to Nashville.
Mark Green: Reapportion corporate excise tax to favor businesses in TN.
Bill Lee: Men of Valor: re-entry program for former offenders.
Bill Lee: Opposes recreational marijuana; wait on medical marijuana.
Karl Dean: No recreational marijuana; decriminalize light medical use.
Bill Lee: Raise penalties on drug traffickers, aid non-violent addicts.
Karl Dean: Provide treatment for opioids while stepping up prosecution.
Karl Dean: Medical marijuana ok, but opposes recreational use.
Bill Lee: Supports charter schools & vouchers.
Karl Dean: Opposes vouchers & for-profit charter schools.
Karl Dean: Expand access to vocational training programs.
Karl Dean: Increase teacher pay; more resources for schools.
Karl Dean: Supports charters; opposes vouchers.
Diane Black: Supports tax dollars for private schools.
Karl Dean: Small city property tax increase to directed to education.
Bill Lee: Charter schools change lives of at-risk youth.
Karl Dean: Supports publicly financed, privately led charter schools.
Karl Dean: Expand school choice teacher accountability.
Karl Dean: Charters ok if non-profit, but vouchers not ok.
Energy & Oil|
Karl Dean: Pledged to work toward reducing greenhouse gases.
Diane Black: Rejects Paris climate change agreement.
Karl Dean: Cuts to the EPA are unthinkable.
Families & Children|
Bill Lee: Marriage is between a man & a woman.
Karl Dean: Supports gay marriage.
Diane Black: Must stand up to North Korea's missile tests.
Bill Lee: Opposes Trump's tariffs on China.
Karl Dean: Opposes Trump's tariffs on China.
Karl Dean: Nonpartisan redistricting; no voter ID.
Bill Lee: Oppose any attempt to ban an entire class of weapons.
Karl Dean: Strong background checks; ban bump stocks.
Bill Lee: ObamaCare will not expand in Tennessee under my watch.
Karl Dean: Support ObamaCare; expand Medicaid.
Karl Dean: Expand Medicaid for low-income families.
Diane Black: Patients should respect their doctors' religious beliefs.
Diane Black: Repeal ObamaCare;need market-based solution.
Bill Lee: Benefits for illegal immigrants is the wrong strategy.
Karl Dean: Earned path to citizenship; they are Tennesseans.
Bill Haslam: College tuition break for in-state undocumented immigrants.
Karl Dean: Immigrants are part of community; college tuition break ok.
Principles & Values|
Bill Lee: We accomplished my vision at granddad's company.
Bill Lee: Former chairman of the Tennessee Prayer Breakfast.
Bill Lee: Faith would influence my decisions as governor.
Karl Dean: Pro-business centrist: good things happen in the middle.
Diane Black: Flatter, simpler tax needed.
Karl Dean: Raised city property taxes, but after Great Recession.
Mark Green: Eliminate Hall tax: 6% on unearned interest and dividends.
Karl Dean: Increase gas tax to fund local transportation infrastructure.
Bill Lee: Infrastructure needs repairs, stop kicking can down the road.
War & Peace|
Mark Green: Don't forget soldiers who made capturing Saddam possible.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Bill Haslam Tennessee Republican Governor
- Bill Lee Tennessee Republican candidate for governor of Tennessee
- Diane Black Tennessee Republican candidate for Tennessee Governor
- Karl Dean Tennessee Democratic candidate for Governor
- Mark Green Tennessee Republican candidate for Governor
The above quotations are from 2018 Tennessee Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage.
2017-18 Governors' book excerpts:
- Power Lines, by Gubernatorial candidate Jason Carter (D,GA)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- A Return to Values:, by Gubernatorial candidate Bob Beauprez (R,CO)
- The Party's Over, by Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D,FL)
- A State of Opportunity, by Gubernatorial candidate Eliot Cutler (I,ME)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- In Mortal Danger, by 2014 gubernatorial candidate Tom Tancredo (R,CO)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Linc Chafee (I,RI)
- Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry (R,TX)
- What A Party!, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- Last Line of Defense, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R,VA)