Books by and about 2016 presidential candidates|
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Crippled America ,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
| American Dreams,|
by Marco Rubio (2015)
| Taking a Stand,|
by Rand Paul (2015)
by Scott Walker (2013)
| A Time for Truth,|
by Ted Cruz (2015)
| One Nation,|
by Ben Carson (2014)
| Trump/Pence vs. Clinton/Kaine On the Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Living History ,|
by Hillary Rodham Clinton (2003)
| Between Hope and History ,|
by Bill Clinton (1996)
| In Harmís Way ,|
by Dr. Jill Stein (2000)
| Democrat vs. Republican vs. Green vs. Libertarian,|
Four Party's Presidential Nominees On The Issues (2016)
Books by and about 2012 presidential candidates|
| Ten Letters
about Pres. Barack Obama (2011)
| Do Not Ask What Good We Do
about Rep. Paul Ryan (2012)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
CBS News Republican Debate
at The Peace Center in Greenville, South Carolina
Moderated by John Dickerson
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from CBS GOP S.C. Debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Ben Carson (7) HUD Secretary
- Donald Trump (12) Republican Presidential candidate
- Jeb Bush (9) Florida Former FL Governor; Republican Presidential candidate
- John Kasich (9) Ohio Republican Governor
- Marco Rubio (8) FL Senator; Republican Presidential candidate
- Ted Cruz (6) Republican 2016 Primary Challenger
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
- This debate took place on Feb. 13, 2016, in the leadup to the South Carolina primary on Feb. 20, 2016.
- Donald Trump won all 50 delegates in the South Carolina Republican primary -- but it was NOT a "winner-take-all" primary.
Trump won a majority of votes in each district in the state; had some other candidate won in any district, the delegates would have been split.
- The March 15 "SEC primary" may give Trump a decisive lead, or the opposite, because several of the contests are "winner-take-all" (whoever gets the highest popular vote gets all the delegates).
So far, there have been no winner-take-all contests: Sanders won all the delegates in Vermont, and Trump won all the delegates in Sourth Carolina, because they won in every district. In contrast....
- Florida on March 15 is a winner-take-all primary with 99 delegates; Rubio is the popular Senator of Florida and will likely win, doubling his current delegate count. If Rubio loses Florida, he will likely drop out.
- Ohio on March 15 is a winner-take-all primary with 66 delegates; Kasich is the popular governor of Ohio and will likely win, tripling his current delegate count. If Kasich loses Ohio, he will likely drop out.
- Other big upcoming winner-take-all Republican contests:
Those contests are designed to finish off the contested primaries and decide a winner -- and they will likely do so!
- Michigan (59 delegates on March 8);
- Missouri (52 delegates on March 15);
- Arizona (58 delegates on March 22);
- Wisconsin (42 delegates on April 5);
- Indiana (57 delegates on May 3);
- California (172 delegates on May 24).
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Donald Trump: Planned Parenthood does great work on women's health.
Budget & Economy|
Jeb Bush: Florida thrived under my leadership.
John Kasich: Ohio went from $8 billion deficit to $2 billion surplus.
Jeb Bush: Hedge fund managers should pay taxes the same as others.
Ben Carson: Free college is a non-starter.
Donald Trump: Eminent domain is something you need very strongly.
Jeb Bush: Eminent domain should not be used for private purposes.
Families & Children|
John Kasich: A big mosaic: we all take care of each other.
Marco Rubio: Make investing in kids deductible like business expenses.
Donald Trump: Figure out who our allies are.
Donald Trump: Iran deal is one of the worst I've ever seen.
Jeb Bush: Russia's Putin is not an ally of the US & everyone knows it.
John Kasich: US should not be world's police in places like Iraq.
Marco Rubio: Three main threats: Asia-Pacific, Middle East, and Russia.
Marco Rubio: I voted against the president's inadequate Syria strategy.
Donald Trump: Trade pacts are no good for us and no good for our workers.
Ben Carson: Appointing a justice before election would be divisive.
Ben Carson: We have 645 federal agencies--that's way, way too many.
Donald Trump: Delay, delay, delay on Supreme Court appointment.
Donald Trump: I would build consensus, not use Executive Orders.
Jeb Bush: I'm an Article II guy: Presidency over Supreme Court.
John Kasich: Country too partisan to appoint justice before election.
Marco Rubio: No to a simple majority to confirm a Supreme Court justice.
Marco Rubio: I will reverse US decline, both at home and abroad.
Ted Cruz: 80-year history of no Supreme Court changes in election year.
John Kasich: Ohio expanded Medicaid but not for ObamaCare.
John Kasich: We save $22,500 a year by treating addicts & mentally ill.
Donald Trump: How did W keep us safe? WTC came down during his watch.
Jeb Bush: Reverse the sequester and rebuild the military.
Marco Rubio: George W. Bush kept us safe and dealt with Hussein.
Jeb Bush: Show compassion to illegals with a path to legal status.
John Kasich: Nuts to deport 11M people; legalize with fine & back taxes.
Marco Rubio: Amnesty means no consequences; I was never for that.
Ted Cruz: I led the fight to defeat the Reid-Schumer amnesty bill.
Donald Trump: Bring jobs back from China, Mexico, Japan, and Vietnam.
Principles & Values|
Ted Cruz: FactCheck: Yes, Cruz speaks Spanish & understands Univision.
Ben Carson: 2AM phone calls are about presidential judgement.
Donald Trump: We should have impeached George W. Bush for Iraq War lies.
Jeb Bush: We need someone with a servant's heart and also a backbone.
Donald Trump: I will save Social Security with more jobs, less waste.
Ben Carson: Taxes start at 150% of poverty level & some tax below that.
Ted Cruz: Tax returns on a postcard.
War & Peace|
Ben Carson: Replacing Mideast dictators leads to chaos, like in Iraq.
Ben Carson: Bomb oil tankers even if it hurts the environment.
Donald Trump: We've spent $5T in the Mideast and gotten nothing.
Jeb Bush: Policy of containment against ISIS just